Name of Position: GIS Specialist
Employee Classification: Salary – Exempt
Purpose: The purpose of this position is to support the ongoing creation, maintenance, and dissemination of data and applications in the GIS environment. The GIS Specialist will interact with various team members and sister agency staff to ensure that their needs for GIS information are met on a day to day basis. The GIS Specialist is expected to exercise considerable initiative to work independently in the office, along with some field work, and is responsible for decisions requiring discretion, judgment, and familiarity with a variety of work flows. The GIS Specialist is expected to work well with colleagues in a team environment.
Qualifications: A candidate applying for this position must have a GIS certificate or associates degree in Geography, Cartography, GIS or closely related field and at least three years of experience is required. A Bachelor or other advanced degree is preferred. This position requires a good working knowledge of GIS data types and ESRI desktop software with ability to easily perform spatial data analysis and collection of data with a GPS system. A valid driver’s license is required. Knowledge of SQL Databases and ArcGIS Server is desired.
Position Wage: Pay Range: $55,000-$65,000. This is a full-time position. The wage will be negotiated at the time of hire. Benefits include medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, state retirement, paid sick and vacation. Available to all employees after a 60-day probationary period (employee is responsible for paying a percentage of this cost).
Essential Job Functions: The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Coordination, collection, editing, and dissemination of Warren County GIS infrastructure data
- Support Warren County Public Works operations with data collection, spatial analysis, and creation of thematic maps and applications
- Support other department operations with data collection, spatial analysis, and creation of thematic maps and applications
- Coordinate the on-going spatial data maintenance and dissemination, end-user support and the generation of maps and other GIS reports and products
- Coordinate the compiling and organizing GIS data from maps, external databases or other identified sources
- Collection and conversion of mapping resources and data
- Gather, analyze, and integrate and maintain spatial data from a variety of sources
- Analyze spatial data for geographic statistics to incorporate into various documents and reports
- Assist in the coordination of data shared among partner agencies
- Conduct research to locate and obtain information related to specific projects, new data sources, software, and organizational tools
- Coordinate GIS connection and updates to all internal software
- Performs quality assurance and quality control of data
- Stays informed of trends in GIS technology and find ways to apply new technologies to assist the community
- Assists Public Works Director as needed