Name of Position: County Engineer
Employee Classification: Salary – Exempt
Purpose: The purpose of this position is to develop and manage capital improvement projects, provide plan review and inspection of construction of certain public infrastructure (including roads, sidewalks, drainage systems, and facilities) in Warren County and provide assistance to internal clients. The Engineering and Construction Coordinator provides expertise in the areas of street, sidewalk, drainage, and stormwater infrastructure for residential and commercial site construction with regards to compliance with local regulations. This position requires advanced knowledge of subdivision and zoning regulations and a demonstrated capability in the areas of public facility construction.
Qualifications: This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with a current Professional Engineer (PE) license (must have or be able to obtain KY license within six months). A minimum of five years of experience in the areas of civil engineering, construction management, architecture, or related field is preferred. This position requires a firm grasp of: construction techniques related to building systems, highways, and drainage; specialization in infrastructure management; and knowledge of project cost estimating. Desired experience/skills include: experience in project management, knowledge of current building codes, and possession of analytical and problem skills, and proficient reading, writing and mathematical skills. Managing multiple assignments. In-depth working knowledge of computers and be proficient in the latest version Microsoft Office Suite, Proficiency in AutoCAD. Establishing and maintaining positive and friendly cooperative working relationships with coworkers, sister agency staff and the public. Employee must possess a valid driver’s license.
Position Wage: Pay Range: $80,000-$90,000. This is a full-time position. The wage will be negotiated at the time of hire. Benefits include medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, state retirement, paid sick and vacation. Available to all employees after a 60-day probationary period (employee is responsible for paying a percentage of this cost).
Essential Job Functions: The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises the Engineering and Construction team;
- Advises and assists Public Works Director in the coordination of planning programs and determination of development policies, including development and construction administration;
- Coordinates and conducts reviews of construction, stormwater, erosion, drainage, floodplain and traffic plans for compliance with local regulations and ordinances;
- Provides oversight for projects at all stages and provide solutions to problems by collaborating with other departments, site managers, surveyors, engineers, site worker and other professionals;
- Inspects construction at project sites; inspects subdivision construction and permit sites for compliance with County codes (street, drainage, concrete, traffic and sidewalk standards) and monitors quality control to ensure that projects are constructed/carried out according to expected standards; enforces job site safety; and reviews engineering, architectural plans, and project specifications.
- Manages capital improvement project contracts, including developing and administering contracts, scheduling projects, and preparing and maintaining project timelines and budgets; reviews and approves related, and performs project close-out.
- Investigates citizen complaints regarding County construction projects for improvement/resolution recommendations.
- Gathers and maintains data/information to support daily/weekly project reports and other special reports for the area of responsibility; provides necessary infrastructure data to GIS Manager within a month of project completion.
- Performs administrative tasks such as utilizing complex software programs, prepares correspondence or Requests for Proposals, prepares and manages bids, research deeds and plats, and maintains project inventory sheets; researches and recommends the purchase of equipment and products. Manages all records in accordance with KRS requirements.
- Represents Public Works Director at various meetings.
- Assists Public Works Director as needed.